Very good how-to guide for brand guideline designers from those London-based guys at Saachi & Saachi.
Some points in there that I found useful to add to my development of brand guidelines for my clients, including:
1. First understand:
• Who will be using the guidelines
• What they will gain from using them
• Where & how it will be accessed
• Why the guidelines are being produced
9. Guide, don’t tell. Engage the user.
Tone of voice is key, so keep it short and simple to understand. Depending on your brand, some light-hearted copy in key places can keep it fun and creative.
See the full 20 top tips on the Saachi and Saachi blog